C L A V I S
COMPLETE BOOK OF MAGIC SCIENCE
Transcribed by Frederick Hockley
From the Manuscripts of
Available as two limited editions
This edition limited to 88 copies quarter leather bound in smooth red goatskin.
Limited to only 88 large format exemplars hand gilded, quarter leather bound in smooth red goatskin, dark green nonpareil marbled endpapers, with red and green head and tail bands.
Click here for the edition limited to 24 copies
full leather bound in smooth red goatskin.
Over 450 pages of text large octavo, with the complete collection of manuscripts (covering 280 pages) reproduced in colour onto fine art paper, extensive introduction and critical commentary, notes and indexes by Professor Joseph Peterson
Page of the manuscript with seals for the operation of Saturn
The Great Seal with Wand and Knife of Magic Art
The Great Book transcribed from a manuscript of 1573
The Wheel of Wisdom
The Clavis or Key to the Magic of Solomon is one of several notebooks from the estate of Ebenezer Sibley (1751-1799), transcribed under the direction of Frederic Hockley (1808-1885). Sibley was a prominent occultist, physician and an influential author, who complemented his scientific studies with writings on the “deeper truths” including magic, astrology, alchemy, and hypnotherapy.
Both Sibley and Hockley were major inspirations in the occult revival of the past two centuries, influencing A.E. Waite, S.L. Mathers, Aleister Crowley, as well as the Golden Dawn, Rosicrucian, and Masonic movements.
This collection reflects Sibley’s teachings on the practical use of celestial influences and harmonies.
The Clavis contains clear and systematic instructions for constructing magical tools and pentacles for many practical purposes. It includes eight separate magical texts:
The Mysterious Ring, Experiments of the Spirits, Birto, Vassago, Agares, Bealpharos, The Wheel of Wisdom, and the Complete Book of Magic Science.
The manuscript reproduced here is the most accurate and complete known, very beautifully and carefully written complete with extraordinary hand-coloured seals and coloured handwritten text. 282 colour pages with a colour fold-out image of the ‘Wheel of Wisdom’ and a huge index of angelic and demonic names, spirits, names of intelligences etc etc.
The spirit BIRTO
CLAVIS MSS of Ebenezer Sibley dated to 1793 and transcribed by Frederick Hockley in 1820:
- Signs seals and the Magical Knife
- Qualities required in the student of magic art
- Places and times suitable to the practice
- The talismans, pentacles and magic characters
- The secret influences of the moon
- The Grand Pantacle of Solomon
- The hours of the day and night suitable to the magic art
- Concerning the perfumes of the seven planets
- Invocations & conjurations
- Exorcisms and consecrations pertaining to the grand work
- Pentacles for the days of the week
- The Mysterious or Magical Ring: a complete text of the process often discovered in manuscripts of the Grimorum Verum: the construction and consecration of powerful magical rings proper to the influences of the seven planets.
- An experiment of the Spirit BIRTO, a very old form of conjuration once ascribed to the magician Fr. Roger Bacon
- An experiment of the Spirit VASSAGO, the third Goetic Spirit and one which appears again in Hockleys work on crystallomancy.
The Spirit AGARES
- An experiment of the Spirit AGARES, the second spirit in the list of the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum
- An experiment of the Spirit BEALPHAROS, a version of the magical experiment mentioned in ‘The Discovery of Witchcraft’ by Reginald Scot (1584)
- The Wheel of Wisdom, a copy of Sibleys own Solomonic diagram which Fredrick Hockley made in 1834
- A Complete Book of Magic Science: the method of constraining Spirits to visible appearance, the consecration of Lamens, Pentacles and Talismans of the planetary angels, with a form of the Bond of Spirits.
Each copy of this stunning full colour grimoire is hand bound for The Hell Fire Club by our own master bookbinder from the edition of Professor Joseph Peterson.